Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Finnegan's Wake!

Every now and then E and I find a reason to visit the Upper East Side, the neighborhood where we went to college and where I lived for 4 years. Almost all of my college memories are confined to a 10 block radius encompassing most of the east 70's. It always feels a little weird walking down the same block we walked so many times on our way to class, or passing by a store front thats now different and saying "Hey, where did Healthy Bagel go? I loved that place!" or something along those lines.

One of the days we almost always travel to this neighborhood for is St. Patty's Day. St. Patty's day is crazy in NYC but we brave the crowds to venture to one of our old college haunts... Finnegan's Wake. Finnegan's was one of two Irish pubs we frequented (the other being Kelly's but sadly it's no longer with us). We made it a point to go early this year because last year we almost missed the food... and oh.... the food! We LOVE the Bangers and Mash!



It's funny when we go there now I cant imagine how annoying our group of drunk 20 somethings must have been to all the old Irish locals. Its a pretty small quiet place but we would make ourselves right at home. Still, my favorite memories of Finnegan's are the nights E and I would be there alone, talking till 2 am when they would finally kick us out. Even though many parts of NYC living get me down and tire me out, its beautiful days like today that remind me what a special place it can be. It is the backdrop of the beginning my adult life and its the first chapter in our love story. I guess thats pretty awesome. :-)