Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ballet and Blouses

Phew, have I been busy! Today is my first day off in 2 weeks. The Opera ended May 14th and load- in for ABT was May 15th. I LOVE working with ABT. The Company and Crew are great people and for the most part I cant believe I get paid to dress Ballerinas and watch from the wings every night.

Also, in my spare minutes I made a shirt for my dear friend Katie G. We went to college together and worked at American Girl Theatre together too. She is going to be a bridesmaid in a friends wedding this weekend, but Katie prefers to wear mens clothing and asked if I would make her a shirt in the same color as the bridesmaids dresses. I love to help a sista' out so I said Yes! and we went to work. First we ordered a swatch of "Matisse Blue" fabric from J. Crew and I did some hunting to find a matching fabric. It turned out to be a bit of a challenge to match the color but we decided on a beautiful silk dupioni for only $10 a yard! Sweet.



We used McCall's Pattern 4079. First I made a muslin and we had a fitting. Good thing, too, because it needed a lot of adjustment. The main problem I think was that the shirt pattern was meant to be worn a bit slouchy and oversized, but we wanted a more tailored fit. Sooooo, I adjusted the armcye, made an FBA dart and shortened the arm length, too.



I think it turned out really nicely. Oh, also I had the button holes done at Johnathan's Embroidery. It took 5 mins and cost $5 to have 10 small holes done. It is sooo worth it to save you time and end up with beautiful, professional button holes.



I handed it off to Katie today and it looked great on her! I'll update with pictures from the wedding next week!

***UPDATE***
There she is on the far right! The color was perfect!

3 comments:

holly said...

Nice work! That top stitching looks great! You'll never regret professional buttonholes. Looking forward to seeing how the fabric looks with the other girls. Who knew you had you a blog? :-)

Costume Diva said...

Thanks Holls, miss you!

Erin said...

Teach me your ways, O Talented One.