Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Waking up from the Pill

I highly encourage every woman on the Pill to read this NY Times article entitled Waking Up from the Pill. While I dont agree with every statement and attitude presented in this article, I do agree that American women today have a very significant disconnect with their bodies, especially concerning reproduction and childbirth (which are our prime biological functions after all).




Hey, Im on the pill and have been for over 10 years, but over the past few years as I've started to consider starting a family I've often thought to myself "Isnt there something strange about tricking my body into thinking its been pregnant for all these years? Whats going to happen when I stop fooling her and want her to actually be pregnant?"

Sooo, I encourage you to read this article and just start a conversation with yourself, your sister, your girlfriend, your doctor about it. Or leave a friendly comment here about your thoughts.

2 comments:

Erin said...

"Today, we operate on a simple premise—that every little girl should be able to grow up to be anything she wants, and she can only do so if she has the ability to chart her own reproductive destiny."

This was insulting to me, and I consider it anti-feminist to say that charting my reproductive destiny (read: not having babies when I'm young) is the only way to a successful life of my choosing.

"Sexual freedom is a fantastic thing, worth paying a lot for. But it’s not anti-feminist to want to be clearer about exactly what is being paid."

Yes.

I recently went off the pill because of some perceived side effects, and I feel SO much better, physically as well as mentally and emotionally.

Costume Diva said...

Yeah I found a few things insulting, too. Like the inference that being on the Pill meant promiscuity or that it is cool and chic to have a little Pill case in your purse.

But I do agree with this quote- “I feel like I’ve gotten a message over the years that the less I have to do with the nitty-gritty biological stuff of being a woman, the better, and that’s a weird message,” says Sophia, 35

I feel so strongly that women need to know what they are dealing with and why, and talking about it with other women is key.

ps Erin - love the new pic!