Friday, June 25, 2010

Mom

Wow, my last post was only 5 days ago but it seems like another lifetime. Later that day my world was turned upside down when I called my mother in NC and realized she'd had a stroke.

I called 911 here in NYC and they connected me to the local Police who sent an ambulance to my Mom's house right away. She was alone so I called our neighbor who rushed to our house to be with Mom.

I flew to Richmond Sunday night to get my sister and we drove to Winston-Salem from the airport. We got to the ICU around 2:30 am and stayed with her for a little bit but then let her rest. The next few days were an overwhelming mix of hospital visits, phone calls and worry.

Basically what happened was that she had a clot in her Carotid artery that a piece broke off from and traveled to her brain. Initially she was almost totally paralyzed on the right side, but that movement and strength is coming back more everyday. What has been most severely effected is her ability to recall words and form sentences. She can speak clearly but has trouble finding the right words to use.

Now she is out of ICU and in the rehabilitation center where they have begun aggressive physical and speech therapy. She has a long road of recovery ahead of her, but everyone is very impressed and encourage by her improvements day by day.

I am back in NYC now and will visit her again in about three weeks when, hopefully, she will be at home receiving out- patient therapy.

To my friends and family who have been supporting us the past few days- thank you and please keep it coming.

4 comments:

Breanna said...

Best wishes to you and your family during this time. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Angela Friedman said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Best wishes for all the speedy recovering in the world.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that! I'm so glad she's doing better! Your mom is a real joy to know...

Erin said...

Holy cow!! I just saw this post. I'm so sorry. Much love to all of you.