Friday, January 15, 2010

Don't give up!

Have you ever had to just put yourself out there? Its hard. Really hard. It takes a lot of nerve to call places over and over just hoping that someone will agree to meet with you and take our resume. Today I called a particularly well know ballet company to do just that and the response was harsh. Like hitting a brick wall. I was feeling very defeated. Then, a few minutes after I had hung up with the Supervisor, I got a call back. It was from his assistant. He said something like this:

"I just wanted to tell you, that I know it was really hard to do what you did. It's hard to put yourself out there, but don't give up."

It took all of my effort not to cry on the phone with him. I wanted to unload all of my frustrations onto someone who understood. I took a deep breath and somehow squeaked out:

"Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. Don't worry, I wont give up. You'll hear back from me."

I wonder if he knows that he made my week. Maybe even my month.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Okay so I may be in a somewhat heightened emotional state, but that makes me want to cry on your behalf.

Julie Lee said...

I'm so glad that the assistant called to tell you that, because it's 100% true but so hard to believe sometimes!

Gail said...

Until last week I was a freelance consultant for six years. The only advice I can give is always act like they are imposing on your time. You have something to offer and are choosy about who you offer it to. In other words bluff your way into success!

Unknown said...

I love this post! I love that the assistant called you back, I feel like that is something unique to the arts. Would a business person ever call you back to say that? This reminds me of all the times you think about telling a stranger you like their hat or something. See? We should always tell people what we think--it makes people's day! Don't worry, girl, the job is out there for you! Keep hanging on!

Unknown said...

Also, I have no idea why it showed up as Manhattan Mayhem. It's me, Surly.